Computer & Internet Policy
The East Fishkill Public Library District has computers to assist patrons and to enhance the delivery of library services. The Internet, being a valuable tool, is made available by the Library for the use of its patrons.
The Library reserves the right to establish and change usage rules from time to time to accommodate changes in technology and the Library’s physical and staffing environment.
The Library assumes no responsibility for the use of the Internet by children. The Library staff assumes that any minor who is unattended in the Library has the consent of his/her parents to use all library resources, including the Internet.
It is impossible for the Library staff to control specific information that people may locate on the Internet. The Library cannot vouch for or endorse the viewpoints of any written material including the Internet. The Internet is not subject to the normal material selection process usual to the operation of the Library.
The Library expects that the use of computers and technology such as the Internet will be legal, responsible, ethical, and consistent with the purposes and mission of the library.
- Respecting the privacy of others by not misrepresenting oneself as another user; by not attempting to modify or gain access to files, passwords, or data belonging to others; by not seeking unauthorized access to any computer system, or damaging or altering software components of any network or database.
- Making only authorized copies of copyrighted or licensed software data.
- Not sending, receiving, or displaying text or graphics which may reasonably be construed by library staff as offensive to the public.
- Not making unauthorized changes to the setup or configuration of the software or hardware.
- Not downloading any files to the system’s hard drive.
- Any person observed using a computer for illegal activities is subject to legal recourse and permanent expulsion from the Library premises .
Approved by EFPLD Board of Trustees 2/25/08